Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Rebirth

I remember nothing before regaining consciousness. I was sitting there for some time before anything eventful happened. Which was good, because it gave me time to take in my surroundings. Where was I? What was I doing there? Why was I there?

It was loud and busy, full of people. It took me some time to adjust to the noise. It seemed like an eternity, because everything was new, but probably only minutes had past. He picked me up from where I was sitting, with a firm grasp, and moved me to an aluminum platform. Then, a sound, loud and furious, followed by heat, intense heat, rising within me.

I never believed in an afterlife, or reincarnation, or God, or heaven, or anything, really, after death. Now, I was forced to believe. I was far from understanding, but I was in the middle of accepting my new life as a coffee cup. I didn't know how long it would last. I feared the monotony that my new position in the world brought with it. I regretted ever thinking that my life, before, was lacking in possibilities. I often thought that no life could be more pointless and mundane than a cat's. Now, I realized I was wrong.

A non-fat latte; that's what I was holding. I only know because this order was shouted out after my transit from the aluminum platform to a wooden platform just next to my previous location. A large, Caucasian looking woman lifted me, using the handle, and carried me across the room. Two sugars later and I was traveling again.

She sat down, alone, and opened a newspaper that draped over me loosely. It became dark, and I remembered the darkness of my fate. Carried, banged, washed, filled, sucked, and carried again. How long could I endure such an existence? I thought about self-determination and the great power that I had had before. Existence, then, was elective, though such an election was frowned upon. I realized now what an immense power this was.

She moved abruptly, turning a page, turning around, I'm unsure. I found myself moving laterally, quickly, then downward, rushing, accelerating. A crash. Then, a familiar feeling - I lost my sense of self. I was in pieces. I was losing my consciousness, my awareness. There was no light, like the last time, only a slow fade to darkness. My last thought, I remember, was how short life was as a coffee cup.

I can only tell you this today because I have lived many lives since then and often long for these brief moments from this life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home